Lately I've been trying to change my lifestyle and eat healthy! It's been about a month and this is proving itself successful through weight loss and muscle definition. One of the things that I have found the hardest has been traveling personally and for work. Between my ways of always looking for an adventure and my profession giving me them, I find myself out of town 2 - 3 times a month. While I am still learning what works and what doesn't - I have some tricks of the trade I want to share.
- Always eat breakfast! Doesn't matter how early I get to the airport or destination, I continue to make breakfast a priority. What I found is great for me is Starbucks. Believe it or not, there are healthy options there if you do it right. My typical breakfast is Starbucks oatmeal (with none of the additives), half a banana, and a non fat latte. Because I am currently cutting back on artificial sugars - I have been adding stevia (a natural sugar alternative) to my coffees and oatmeal.
- Be prepared. As mentioned earlier I have been cutting back on my artificial sugar intake (aspartame, Splenda, items you'd find in a Diet Coke to my dismay). Because of this I make sure to always have a sandwich bag of stevia in my purse so that I am ready for coffee, oats, unsweetened tea, you know it! Not good at this yet - but I'm most successful when I have prepackaged snacks that I put together for my travels - whether that be grapes, almonds, or organic jerky (odd snack choice), for when I'm hungry on the road.
- Always pack your sneakers! One of the best things I could do is be prepared to work out for at least 30 minutes a day on a trip. Whether it's finding a running trail outside, using a hotel gym, or even doing a short YouTube video in your hotel room (I love the Tone It Up girls!). It helps keep routine and makes me feel so much better - especially if you're giving local cuisine a taste!
- Hydrate! Chances are if you're not in your normal routine you are not drinking enough water. Additionally traveling on a plane will dehydrate you! I try to pack a reusable water bottle and am constantly refilling it. Additionally, whenever I go out to eat, sit down on a plane, etc. I always get water and force myself to drink it. Water is good for the body, will curb cravings, and keep you fuller longer!
- When in doubt at a restaurant just stay away from the words "fried" and "breaded". Lately I've been looking at menus in this way and will always select the option that is grilled. My go to, when in doubt, is a grilled chicken sandwich with a side salad. Safe, easy, healthy and there is no guilt there. Always be careful with a side vegetable as it may be doused in butter and at that rate you might as well eat the fries.
- And last but not least, don't beat yourself up! This past week I traveled to Kansas City and you bet I tried the BBQ. What was critical was that I did not beat myself up over it. When you get some steps in, make good choices a majority of your day, and are prepared for this indulgence, there's no need to beat yourself up over it. It's in moments of indulgence you make decisions that are best for you (which may be a side salad instead of fries so you can eat all the things). It wasn't overnight that you lost all of your weight, so remember it won't be overnight that you gain all of it either!
That's what I've learned so far! Totally a different type of post - but I wanted to share my journey with you. Please note that when I'm on vacation vs. work travel I tend to indulge more because #treatyoself. Bon Voyage!
Travels from the past few weeks! Kansas City to Richmond to Asheville, oh my!